Friday, June 07, 2013

New cover for The Week UK

This was a tricky one as there's no real caricature in this at all and as I don't really have my own 'style' of illustrating people yet (unlike someone like Howard McWilliam who has been doing covers for The Week for years, and who I have to publicly thank for recommending me to them!).

The idea from the editorial team was a line of London taxis for hire outside the Palace of Westminster, all driven by Lords in their ermine robes (all to do with the current lobbying scandal of course). I knew it was going to be hard to get the perspective of both elements (line of cabs, background building) to look right together, obviously this isn't a naturalistic illustration so it didn't have to be accurate but they couldn't look totally unrelated or the whole thing would look awkward.

I also consciously tried to make this as colourful as I could as I tend to be a bit weak on colour (working on it!) and I think colour wise this looks ok. The good news is I'm going to be doing the cover for the first The Week of each month, so I'm really excited to have the chance to improve my work for them and get better as an illustrator :)

No comments: