Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Terence Blanchard for The Wall Street Journal

Really pleased with the look I got with this one as I played about with the layers in Photoshop, painting on different layers and changing the layer settings to see what different effects I could get. This is the trumpeter Terence Blanchard who is doing an opera about boxer Emile Griffith (not familiar with either of them at all until now). I did the rough sketch on Saturday and sent it off to the WSJ, then basically I spent all of Sunday painting it up (rough sketch below):

I put a bright orange background colour under the sketch, and basically played about with putting layers below and above the sketch, with various settings (multiply, soft light, overlay etc) to build up the right values and help me find the look I was after. Fun!

Here is the article the illustration was done for :)

No comments: